15. Seabrook 1817

"Advertised for sale in 1811 as “in the airy part of town,” this lovely little Creole cottage began with only two rooms, embellished by early owner Henry Seabrook who as the only skilled plasterer in town was responsible for beautiful trimwork in Grace Episcopal Church as well as early townhouses and historic plantations. A front gallery was added, then several rear rooms that were perhaps moved up the hill from Bayou Sara when that riverport was abandoned to the floodwaters. Until recently it was home to the late parish historian and preservationist Elisabeth K. Dart, who had taken piano lessons from her spinster godmother Belle Barrow in this very house as a child and whose grandparents had occupied Seabrook when her grandfather was serving as parish judge, stabling his horses and carriage in the backyard barn. In the side yard, the classical wellhouse covering an original cistern was patterned after the one at Prospect just down Royal Street; it was made with only saw cuts as it would have been in the old days, fitting for the retirement home of one who painstakingly researched the origins of each and every historic structure in this little town, sparking the preservation movement which saved St. Francisville’s quaint National Register-listed Historic District encompassing the entire downtown." Anne Butler